Thursday, October 29, 2009

the beginnings of december

One of our Paint and Ink techniques was gesso stenciling. That led to these experiments:





The red and the aqua samples I love. The navy blue was an attempt to salvage a scrap stencil gone wrong. I don't love it, but I like it well enough. I'll find it's way onto a card or the like someday.

When I decided to throw a couple of my own papers into my December Daily album, I went back to this technique. As I am trying to recycle as much as I can, I painted over some patterned scrapbook paper I got in a pad which I will never use, in this case an 8x8 inch piece of striped guitar print paper (on the right):


I painted over the striped paper with some red acrylic and then set about stenciling it with gesso.
If you look closely, you can still sort of see the stripes beneath the red paint. Now, instead of paper I have no use for, it's become TEXTURE. :0) Love that...and this paper.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! What size stencil did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stencil's probably 8 x 10 inches. There are two of them, actually... plastic things I picked up at Walmart (or possibly Michaels Crafts) a long time ago, and I use them a LOT.

    The paper for these samples is probably 4-5 inches square.

    Thanks for taking a look at them!!

    ReplyDelete